AP Report: Source says Ray Rice tape was sent to NFL
A breaking news report from the Associated Press says that a law enforcement official claims he sent the video of Ray Rice punching his fiance to the NFL months ago, however, NFL executives have denied they ever saw the footage up until two days ago.
The person played The Associated Press a 12-second voicemail from an NFL office number on April 9 confirming the video arrived. A female voice expresses thanks and says: “You’re right. It’s terrible.”
The law enforcement official, speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, says he had no further communication with any NFL employee and can’t confirm anyone watched the video. The person said they were unauthorized to release the video but shared it unsolicited, because they wanted the NFL to have it before deciding on Rice’s punishment.
Rice was released by the Baltimore Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the league this week. However, it will open a whole new can of worms regarding Commissioner Roger Goodell’s handling of the situation if these claims are indeed true. The video was made available to the public via TMZ.
The video prompted Goodell and the Ravens to take more serious action against Rice, but the backlash will be immense if it comes to light that Goodell had already previously seen the video.
There will be more on this story when details become available.