P.K. Subban inks two year deal with Canadiens
The Montreal Canadiens and star defenseman P.K. Subban can finally say goodbye to a stressful negotiation period. Subban, who had been a restricted free agent, and the Canadiens finally agreed to a two year deal today. Subban’s new deal will pay him $2 million this season and $3.75 million in the 2013-14 season.
Subban is one of the young cornerstones of the Montreal franchise. The 23-year-old Toronto native had a breakout season in 2010-11, registering 14 goals and 24 assists with the Canadiens that year. Pro Hockey Talk’s Ryan Dadoun reports that Subban is relieved he has a new contract and is looking to put his brief holdout in the rearview mirror.
“I’d say ‘difficult’ is an understatement. It was extremely tough to watch as a player,” Subban said in a Canadiens’ report. “The toughest was watching the home opener and watching all the great players who have come through the Montreal organization and helped build this franchise.
Subban could have a tough adjustment period ahead of him. The Canadiens are doing very well with their current group of defensemen, and it has been 297 days – almost a full year – since Subban last took the ice for the team. But Subban has been training with the OHL’s Mississauga Steelheads and insists he’s ready to play.
“I’m always ready to play,” Subban said. “I’m ready to go whenever Marc and Michel Therrien give me the green light.”
With the signing, Montreal will boast a very impressive blue line, bringing Subban back to a group led by a healthy Andrei Markov and impressive Swiss product Raphael Diaz. Markov (4 goals, 1 assist) and Diaz (5 assists) are the team’s leading scorers through four games. The Canadiens sit at 3-1-0 in this young season, and they look to improve their record when they host the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night.
Follow me on Twitter – @jpray_SK