Giants will let Justin Tuck and Hakeem Nicks test free agency
Last July, the New York Giants signed wide receiver Victor Cruz to a five-year, $46 million contract. At the time, it appeared as though the Giants were going to pair Cruz up with Hakeem Nicks for the foreseeable future. Today, it appears as though the duo will be splitting up. While attending the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, Giants general manager Jerry Reese told ESPN that wide receiver Hakeem Nicks and defensive end Justin Tuck will be hitting free agency on March 11.
“Justin is going to go to the market and see what’s out there for him,” Reese told reporters. “I had talks with all those [prospective free agents]. Free agency means free agency. It means you go out and get as much as you can.
“I’m all for players getting as much as they can. Justin deserves to see what the market is. We’d love to have him back. We’ll see where it goes.”
Most analysts expecting the Giants to part ways with Hakeem Nicks, but Justin Tuck is a but of a surprise. Tuck was the only member of the Giants defense to rack up double digit sacks last year and finished the season with eleven total sacks.
While the Giants could re-sign both Nicks and Tuck, I have a feeling Tuck will be a very popular free agent in March. Tuck, who will be 31-years-old by the start of the season, has 60.5 career sacks and has posted double digit sacks in four out of his nine seasons.
Nicks should see some attention from teams that want a veteran wide receiver, but his back-to-back seasons of under 1,000 yards should hurt his overall value.
For now, teams looking for a veteran wide receiver or defensive end will have a chance to sign either Nicks or Tuck.