Lance Briggs will not be upset if Forte holds out
Earlier this month, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said he would be “shocked” if running back Matt Forte did not sign his franchise tender by July 16. Cutler went on to say, “I would be shocked if he doesn’t sign his tender by July 15, or whenever it is, and he shows up. It would really be a surprise to me,” Cutler said. “At the end of the day, I think Matt knows it’s business. He’s still getting seven-whatever-million dollars to play this year. So he’s gonna show up.”
Lance Briggs has a different opinion on Forte’s contract situation. During an interview with ESPN Chicago Briggs said he is not sure what Forte will do when it comes to signing his tender but that he will not be angry if he decides to hold out. Briggs added, “I hope … I don’t know, I don’t know. I’ve been in similar situations with what Matt Forte is going through, but like I said, I don’t know. I hope so. I want him there. But I also want him to get paid the way he needs to get paid.”
The Matt Forte contract situation seems confusing to me. I am not sure why the Bears are not jumping to extend their best offensive player. Forte was on pace to lead the NFL in rushing yards last season before getting injured. If the Bears expect to compete with the Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Lions they need to keep all of their offensive firepower. Forte should be extended before the deadline passes.