The Pittsburgh Steelers hectic Sunday schedule due to Hurricane Sandy
The Pittsburgh Steelers traveled to the Meadowlands to take on the Giants in Week 9, but there was just one minor debacle; they had nowhere to stay. With hotels either being full of people without homes, or flooded and without power from Hurricane Sandy, the Steelers could not find a hotel that could house the number of people they would be bringing: over 100.
Because of the situation with the housing, the Steelers had to stay at their regular home game hotel in Pittsburgh. They were forced to fly into New York on Sunday morning, and later, after their contest with the Giants, they will be forced to fly back to Pittsburgh. Here’s a summary of the Steelers’ day, courtesy of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
* 7:02 a.m. — Steelers pregame meal at the Omni William Penn hotel in Pittsburgh. That’s where they stayed Saturday night and went through their meetings.
* 8:14 a.m. — Players start to drive their own cars to the airport.
* 8:34 a.m. — Some players start to arrive at the FBO part of Pittsburgh International Airport.
* 9:05 a.m. — Ben Roethlisberger and Brett Keisel arrive at the security check.
* 9:28 a.m. — The Steelers USAir chartered flight takes off for Newark.
* 10:21 a.m. — The team plane touches down at Newark airport.
* 10:36 a.m. — Team buses are loaded up and leave for the hotel located in Newark — two buses head to the stadium while the others carrying the players head toward the hotel.
* 10:53 a.m. — The Steelers provide a pregame meal for the team at the hotel.
* 11:11 a.m. — Some players like Ike Taylor look for places to rest and relax even if it means laying on the floor in the hotel hallway.
* 12:34 p.m. — The entire team departs via chartered buses from the hotel en route to MetLife Stadium.
* 12:54 p.m. — The team arrives at MetLife Stadium.
* 1:32 p.m. — A few Steelers head on to the field at warm up including Baron Batch.
* 2:28 p.m. — More players start to warm up on the field including Willie Colon, Max Starks, Ryan Clark and LaMarr Woodley.
* 3:15 p.m. — The entire team hits the field for pregame warmups.
* 3:52 p.m. — The Steelers head back into the locker room.
* 4:14 p.m. — The Steelers come out of the tunnel and introduced to the crowd at MetLife Stadium.
* 4:23 p.m. — Steelers captains — Roethlisberger, Keisel and Curtis Brown go to mid field for the coin toss.
* 4:26 p.m. — Steelers kick off to the Giants.
The entire schedule went out of whack with the afternoon flight, including the team arriving just three and a half hours prior to kick-off. We’ll see if it has an affect on the Steelers in their 4:25 p.m EST game against the 6-2 Giants. Many fans were surprised to see the game was still on in New York City because of the lack of resources around the city. Win or lose, not even a peep will be heard from head coach Mike Tomlin on the subject, who has been hush on the situation to this point.