Week 9 Fantasy Football QB Rankings
The following are my Week 9 standard (non-PPR) fantasy football quarterback rankings.
Byes: St. Louis Rams, New England Patriots, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers
Note: Projections are based from ESPN standard leagues.
1. Aaron Rodgers vs Arizona – Cardinals were beat badly in Week 8 by Alex Smith on Monday Night Football. If Smith can do it, Rodgers can do it better. Expect a bounce back game for fantasy owners after his 13 point performance in Week 8.
2. Drew Brees vs Philadelphia – Top scoring quarterback on a points per game basis. The Eagles pass defense isn’t what it was early, and have given up 20 points or more to Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan in its last two games. Nnamdi Asomugha continues to struggle in man-to-man, and the Eagles continue to put him in a situation where he has to play man. He will be exposed on Monday Night Football.
3. Cam Newton @ Washington – The Redskins have given up the most passing yards in 2012 (2, 532). Newton would be number one if it wasn’t for an average of 11 points per game in his last three.
4. Peyton Manning @ Cincinnati – Bengals have given up an average of just 11.5 points per game to opposing quarterbacks in their last four games. However, those games were against Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, and Ben Roethlisberger. Manning has five straight games of 300 yards passing as well as five games with more than 20 points.
5. Michael Vick @ New Orleans – Vick is averaging 16.5 points per game in his last four games and just four turnovers in those games. Vick should have a good game against the Saints, who have given up 29 points to Josh Freeman and 24 points to Peyton Manning after their Week 6 bye.
6. Matthew Stafford @ Jacksonville – Jaguars will likely be missing both of their starting corners in this game, Rashean Mathis (out) and Derek Cox (questionable). Jaguars are no better than an average defense, and Stafford picked apart the elite pass defense of the Seahawks in Week 8. Stafford slowly seeping back into every-week start territory in my eyes.
7. Robert Griffin III vs Carolina – Carolina has allowed just nine passing touchdowns this season. Griffin had 11 points in Week 8, and I think this is another game in where he will be held in check.
8. Matt Ryan vs Dallas – No quarterback has scored more than 17 points against the Cowboys.
9. Matt Schaub vs Buffalo – Expect a big game from Schaub. Bills have held Matt Hasselbeck and John Skelton in check (12 points each) the last two weeks. In games against above average fantasy quarterbacks – Mark Sanchez, Tom Brady, Alex Smith – the Bills have given up 29 points per game.
10. Josh Freeman @ Oakland – Freeman has nine touchdown passes in his last three weeks, and is averaging 336.6 yards per game in that time span. The Raiders’ have allowed just nine points per game in their last three, but two of those games against Blaine Gabbert and Matt Cassel. They still give up over 16 fantasy points per game to opposing quarterbacks.
11. Ben Roethlisberger @ New York Giants – Giants have given up 18.25 points to opposing quarterbacks in their four games at home this year.
12. Eli Manning vs Pittsburgh – The pass defense is still there. They have given up just 17 points to Andy Dalton and Robert Griffin III in the last two weeks. While I expect 13 points or more for Manning, don’t expect a whole lot.
13. Tony Romo @ Atlanta – Romo is Romo. I think you know what you’re getting here; around 15 fantasy points.
14. Jay Cutler @ Tennessee – Titans are giving up the third most points to opposing quarterbacks.
15. Carson Palmer vs Tampa Bay – The Buccaneers have only held one quarterback under 250 yards, and that is Matt Cassel in Week 6.
16. Russell Wilson vs Minnesota – Vikings giving up 23.6 point to opposing quarterbacks in their three games on the road. Wilson plays much better at home that on the road. He’s averaged 16 points per game at home compared to 7.2 on the road.
17. Andrew Luck vs Miami – Even in the best of matchups in the last few weeks, Luck hasn’t put up any big games, including just 15 points against Tennessee.
18. Joe Flacco @ Cleveland – Flacco is averaging just eight points per game in his last three.
19. Andy Dalton vs Denver – Denver held Drew Brees to 213 yards and two touchdowns last week. It’s been a top pass defense since Schaub’s four-touchdown performance in Week 3.
20. Brandon Weeden vs Baltimore – Ravens have given up 250 yards and a two touchdowns through the air to their opponents in the last two weeks.
21. Blaine Gabbert vs Detroit – Detroit is still getting dominated, but Blaine Gabbert is still Blaine Gabbert.
22. Ryan Tannehill @ Indianapolis – Tannehill is questionable with a bruised quadriceps and bone bruise in his knee, but is expected to play. The Colts have allowed 13 passing touchdowns this year.
23. John Skelton @ Green Bay – Packers gave up 16 points to Gabbert last week, but don’t expect John Skelton to throw for 303 yarads like Gabbert did last week.
24. Ryan Fitzpatrick @ Houston – The Texans have held every quarterback but Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers to 10 points of less. Fitzpatrick has just three touchdown passes in his last three games; all against Tennessee in Week 7.
25. Matt Hasselbeck vs Chicago – Consistently puts up 10 points or more, but most owners are looking for more than that.
26. Christian Ponder @ Seattle – They had a bad game against Stafford last week. Yet, Ponder is not Brady or Stafford, who are the only two quarterbacks to score more than 15 points against this defense this year.