Menu
Home / Featured / Bobby Valentine: David Ortiz ‘decided not to play anymore’

Bobby Valentine: David Ortiz ‘decided not to play anymore’ 52

Bobby Valentine is still talking about his former employer, the Boston Red Sox. This weeks target? David Ortiz.
Photo Credit: Creative Commons

This whole Bobby Valentine/Red Sox situation is getting a little ridiculous. Both have gone their separate ways, and you would think that the childish back and forth would go with it. Well, apparently not. In an interview with Costas tonight, Valentine says that Red Sox star David Ortiz, who spent the last month of the season on the disabled list, did so because he knew his team was out of the race, not because he was injured.

Valentine cited the Red Sox blockbuster trade, in which the team traded star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers, as Ortiz’s main motivation to shut it down for the season:

“He realized that this trade meant that we’re not going to run this race and we’re not even going to finish the race properly and he decided not to play anymore,” Valentine said in an interview airing Tuesday night on Costas Tonight on NBC Sports Network. “I think at that time it was all downhill from there.”

 

Without knowing the tone Valentine is using here, this seems like an awfully strong accusation to make so casually. He is basically accusing Ortiz of quitting, and not giving his all to his teammates. It doesn’t get much worse than that in sports. On the other hand, just because it is extreme, doesn’t make it false. However, with news that Ortiz is close to a deal with the Red Sox, it doesn’t seem that the team agrees with Valentine’s assessment.

Unfortunately, this probably won’t be the last time we hear of this story, and this Valentine vs. Red Sox drama, so stay tuned.

By: Frank Santos- Sports-Kings Assistant Site Manager

Share

Recent comments