LeBron James responds to rumors of his departure to the Lakers
Rumors were swirling earlier this week about a potential LeBron James marriage to the Los Angeles Lakers in two years. Well everyone but LeBron James apparently knew about this, because LeBron squashed those rumors pretty quick. It made sense initially because Kobe Bryant recently said he only expects to play two more years. Couple that with the salaries that will be off the books by then and the Lakers could make a gigantic offer to LeBron, while hoping to have Dwight Howard to pair him with.
LeBron James responded to these rumors via ESPN:
“I’m here, and this is what it’s all about,” James said after the Heat’s 105-78 preseason win over the Detroit Pistons on Thursday. “I’m preparing for this season, preparing to defend our title and that’s it. This is where … I’m here now.”
“That story, I don’t know where it came from, but I understand why it came up because of who I am — it’s going to happen,” James told reporters after Miami’s first preseason home game. “But I’m not going to worry about it. I’ve got to continue to stay focused with these guys and make sure we’re ready for any challenges that come.”
James insisted he the rumors do not bother him, and he’s realizes new rumors are part of the business.
“It’s not frustrating,” James said. “Guys are making stories every day. It doesn’t matter to me. I’m true to my teammates. I’m here and this is what it’s all about — us building and trying to get better as a team. Anyone can write a story. If you have ESPN, then it becomes credible. So do what you’ve got to do.”