Red Sox stars blast Bobby Valentine to owners after text message

Red Sox blast Bobby Valentine during meeting, after a text message was sent to the owners

We’ve heard the rumblings all year in regards to Bobby Valentine losing control of the team. This comes to nobody’s surprise, as Valentine has already thrown players such as Kevin Youkilis under the bus. Finally, the Boston Red Sox players had enough. During a heated July meeting with ownership, they blasted their manager Bobby Valentine.

Via Yahoo Sports:

Boston Red Sox players blasted manager Bobby Valentine to owners John Henry and Larry Lucchino during a heated meeting called after a text message was sent by a group of frustrated players to the team and ownership in late July, three sources familiar with the meeting told Yahoo! Sports.

The owners called the meeting for Boston’s off-day in New York on July 27 after first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, texting on behalf of himself and some teammates, aired their dissatisfaction with Valentine for embarrassing starting pitcher Jon Lester by leaving him in to allow 11 runs during a July 22 start. It was the latest incident in a season’s worth of bad relations bubbling between Red Sox players and Valentine.

Dustin Pedroia, who is a known Terry Francona supporter, has refuted reports of his hatred for Bobby Valentine, although not many believe him. Pedroia and fellow Red Sox star Adrian Gonzalez were among the most vocal during the heated meeting, signaling to everyone pretty much what they already knew; they have a very high dislike for their first-year manager.

Gonzalez and Dustin Pedroia were among the most vocal in the meeting, in which some players stated flatly they no longer wanted to play for Valentine, the sources said. The tenor of the 2 p.m. meeting at The Palace hotel in New York turned ugly almost immediately, according to the sources, whom Yahoo! Sports granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about internal matters.

Although many Red Sox players attended the meeting, ownership still supports Bobby Valentine. General manager Ben Cherington, has already told reporters he is the manager and they are not considering anybody else. Cherington also confirmed the meeting to Yahoo.

“The intent of the meeting was to provide a forum for people to express whatever frustration needed to be expressed at a time during the season when things were not going exactly the way we wanted to on the field in hopes that we could put whatever issues were there aside and focus on playing games the rest of the season. That was the intent of the meeting. That was the focus of ownership. It was a productive meeting.

“Since then, we have not gone on the run we were supposed to.”

 

 





6 Responses to Red Sox stars blast Bobby Valentine to owners after text message

  • Chris Merow says:

    How could management come out and give Bobby V. their support just a week or so ago if this happened three weeks ago? Management has lost this team just as badly as Valentine has. Only hope; Time to CLEAN HOUSE!!! Goodbye Becket, Papi, Lackey, Aviles, even listen to trade offers for Lester, DIce K, Buckholtz…No one is off limits except Gonzalez, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury(til the middle of next year), maybe a few of the other young guys…Shake it up…

  • charlie says:

    These players are jackasses. They are paid a lot of money to play baseball, to play it well and to win. The managers and coaches don’t play. They should shut their mouths and play ball or get the h— out of the game. Last year they won’t play for Francona. Its about time they weren’t playing and I hope management has finally learned that throwing money away does not buy wins.

    • William Few says:

      I told all my friends aroud here that bringing Bobby Valentine in to manage this team was going to be a disaster. it is obvious from managements hiring of him it has been there intention all along to break this team up. Which is sad because over the long haul this was a very solid unit.

      I agree that there are a few players that need to go, one that comes to mind immeadiatly is Beckett. He’s been a cancer to this team for the last 2 years I can’t believe they extended him for so long.

      Unfortunately I feel the team is beyond repair. Time to blow it up and start from scratch

  • Bill Burke says:

    Mismangement…..yes , from Charington,down to Valentine and his coaches….Total lack of leadership….These players making much more more money then their worth…making statements to the public wich should never be allowed. that is not their place to do so, bringing down the character of the team….is inexcuseable.If they do not like it……LEAVE

  • Mark Stevens says:

    I agree with the “Clean House” statement,once players start blaming circumstances beyond their control,for lousy play,and pointing fingers,the ballclub has been poisoned.What I’d like to see,is Red Sox brass call Terry Francona,apologize to him,and see if he would be interested in becoming the next Red Sox manager.This slide to the cellar began last season,has continued this season,and without serious alterations to the fabric of this team,the club will not turn things around.

  • sport says:

    Boston loses it’s two chiefs, Theo and Terry and things are falling apart. Val wasn’t the right choice but he was the choice so the players ought to shut up and go play baseball

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

RBTS Staff
Site Manager
David Whitlock
Site Assistant Manager
Nicholas Persichilli
Contributor
LeRoy McConnell III
Contributor
Kevin L. Smith
Contributor
Lorenzo Mejia
Contributor
Tristan Tippet
[05:21:31 م] Jason Whitney: