Top things that happened last time the Knicks won a playoff series
After the New York Knicks won against the gritty Boston Celtics last night, it marked their first return to the NBA’s second round since Y2K. Which nearly didn’t happen thanks to a historic 20-0 run during the middle of the fourth quarter that saw the Knicks 26 point lead evaporate to four. But who cares right? Imagine being a Knicks fan and seeing the last 13 years unfold. It started with Jeff Van Gundy resigning after a 10-9 start and only got worse. The last 13 years saw a slew of head coaches, the Isiah Thomas catastrophe, Eddy Curry debacle, Stephon Marbury, Larry Brown, Linsanity, Mike D’Antoni, Jerome James, Steve Francis, Zach Randolph, Allan Houston’s contract, missing out on LeBron James, two first round playoff exits and nearly becoming the first team to blow a 3-0 playoff series lead. Did I miss anything?
It’s safe to say, it’s been a rough 21st century for the Knicks faithful. Failing to advance to the NBA’s second round for 13 years is mind-boggling for a city so rich and thirsty for hoops. Think back to the year 2000, kind of like those Blake Griffin commercials and what was taking place. Better yet I’ll make it easy for ya, just read below and see how much has changed since the last time the Knicks won a playoff series.
Y2k AKA Year 2000
- Cost of a gallon of gas – $1.26
- Elián González was sent back to Cuba
- 2000 Summer Olympics are held in Sydney, Australia.
- George W. Bush is elected President
- Average income per year -$40,343.00
- Cost of a stamp: 33 cents
- Hillary Rodham Clinton is elected Senate representing New York
- Notable movies from 2000: X-Men, Cast Away, Memento, Gladiator, What Women Want, Erin Brockovich and Meet The Parents
- Willow Smith, daughter of Will Smith is born
- Russell Crowe wins Oscar for Best Actor
- Julia Roberts wins Oscar for Best Actress
- Vince Carter wins epic Dunk Contest
- Metallica files lawsuit against Napster
- Tiger Woods becomes the youngest player to win a Grand Slam in Golf
- Popular musicians: Lenny Kravitz, Blink-182, U2, ‘N Sync, Madonna, Eminem, Faith Hill, Santana, Britney Spears, Pink, Cold Play, Christina Aguilera, Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Shelby Lynne wins Grammy for Best New Artist
- U2 wins Grammy for Record of the Year: Beautiful Day
- Yankees win subway series against the Mets to win World Series
- Justin Bieber is in Kindergarten
- Faith Hill’s “Breathe” is the number one song of 2000
- Beyonce Knowles is part of the girl band, Destiny’s Child
- Justin Timberlake is part of the boy band, ‘N Sync
- Singer Whitney Houston is caught with 15.2 grams of marijuana
- Notable Deaths: Derrick Thomas, Big Pun, Tom Landry, Bobby Phills, Charles Schulz, Eric Turner
- America Online merges with Time Warner
- New TV Shows: Malcolm in the Middle, Gilmore Girls, Survivor, Curb Your Enthusiasm and CSI (Crime Scene Investigation)
- Notable Current Knicks in 2000: Jason Kidd is the Phoenix Suns point guard, Marcus Camby is the Knicks starting Center, Amar’e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton are all in high school, Iman Shumpert turns 10 years old and coach Mike Woodson is an assistant for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Yeah, it’s been a long time!